Monday, January 28, 2008

28/01/08 The "West Wing" of its day....









I was a massive fan of the TV show "Crossroads", and was devastated when it ended.
There were great characters involved, superb plotlines and the acting had a raw emotional edge to it which made it unmissable.
I found this classic clip on Youtube.
It features a typically brilliant performance from my favourite character "Arthur Brownlow".
In this clip, it's all gone off in the Brownlow household as Doris Luke's engagement plans look in danger of coming undone.
(the character of "Doris Luke" was played by Kathy Staff who went on to achieve international fame and fortune through her peerless portrayal of "Nora Batty" in the acclaimed Yorkshire documentary "Last of the Summer Wine ; although she's not actually seen in this clip)
I just got back from getting a refund on a timer for my new boiler.
It's never a dull moment.
It has been something of a long-running saga trying to get the money back.
However, a cutting email which I sent to the supplier, cc'ing the head office, did the trick.
As the refund was getting processed, it was obvious that the guy was quietly raging.
He didn't make any eye contact with me and gruffly re-credited my card.
I was beginning to feel a bit awkward about some of the more stinging sarcastic remarks I'd made on the email relating to the customer service I'd previously experienced.
It's always a lot easier to be blunt on email rather than face to face.
Just as I was leaving, he couldn't stop himself and starting having a pop at me about my "cheeky comments".
I got the impression that if I'd started having a go back, he would have had no hesitation in decking me.
He had that look that boxers have when they try to outstare their opponent just before the fight starts.
I took this as a cue to do a bumbling Hugh Grant impersonation...looking down at the floor, and saying I was sorry and that I didn't mean to cause offence...and shuffled out the shop.
I felt that my "hard man" image had been slightly compromised by this episode.
Still, I got my money back!

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Well done Jimbo - I thought for a moment you were talking about the timer that once allowed you to boil some Campbell's soup in error