Wednesday, January 02, 2008

01/01/08 Happy New Year!









Ok, my main objectives this year are to put on some weight and increase my overall consumption of cigarettes.
I know I'll never stick to it, but might as well kick off 2008 with some good honourable intentions.
I think in future I'll desist from watching the news on TV during the festive season.
It's been an unrelenting rolecall of tragedy and miserable awfulness for the last 2 weeks.

Though I did enjoy a programme on a couple of nights ago documenting the history of Hogmanay broadcasts on the BBC.
I'd missed most of the shows when they were shown (probably because I was out getting paralytic somewhere), so it was a revelation to witness for the first time some wonderfully disastrous Hogmanay stock footage.
Edinburgh Castle was the backdrop to a hilariously shite "gospel" version of "Flower of Scotland" performed by an American choir.
To be accused of absolutely murdering a song ,which is fairly dreadful to start with anyway, is no mean feat.
Robbie Coltrane doing stand-up and running over-time, ending up talking through the bells was another classic.
I'm not too big on musicals but I enjoyed watching "Oliver!" yesterday.
This is my favourite bit....
I also liked the "Oom Pah Pah" song.
It's set in a pub and has lots of buxom women dancing provocatively on tables as the customers look on.
I sometimes think it'd be great if real life was a little bit like the magic world of musicals, and you could actually go somewhere to experience a joyous event like this at first hand.

No comments: