Sunday, January 27, 2008

27/01/08 That was the weekend that was




















I got a call last Thursday to do spots on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at The Stand in Edinburgh.
I did a little jig around my flat at the news...I love doing the weekend at The Stand!
Thursday and Saturday were good, solid gigs, but Friday was probably the best reaction I've ever had doing stand-up..I really nailed it....
What sticks in my mind was getting big laughs before I'd even said anything.
It's great having that feeling that you've "got" the audience right from the start, and your comedy sensors inform you that you're going to have a great gig.
The Friday night was my much missed Dad's "unofficial" birthday, and I'd spent a lot of the day thinking about him.
I say "unofficial" birthday, because throughout his life, we always celebrated his birthday on 31st January.
It was late in life when he found out out that although his birth certificate says "31st January", this wasn't true...he was actually born on 25th January.
His father, a miner in Hamilton, had already had 3 daughters, and Jim senior was his first (and only) son...
He was quite partial to a drink apparently, and the celebrations for the birth of his son, went on for a good 3 weeks.
He realised that he'd now illegally delayed the registration of the birth, so basically bullshitted the registrar and changed the birth date to 6 days later.
I love that story...a good bit of improvisation by my Grandpa!
But anyway..ok bully for me...I had some good gigs...but it was just doing a 10 minute set, so I'm not organising no ticker tape parade or nuttin', but it definitely feels that I'm making some progress in the laugh business.
I'm thinking of getting a new telly.
I was down at my brother's gaffe in Manchester over the Festive Season, and he'd bought a ridiculous 46 inch telly.
The problem is that once you spend a few days watching that, you come home and watch your own puny telly and it feels like every programme is "Michael Bentine's Potty Time".
I'm now tempted to buy a 47 inch telly, and see how much I can piss off the aforementioned brother.

No comments: