Thursday, May 03, 2007

03/05/2007 Ho hum



This is me after conquering the treacherous South-East face of Ben Ledi.
I am a true hero of the Scottish people...(which nobody can deny)




I spent a large part of the upwards journey arguing with my climbing companion over the correct way to say an expression.
(It's never a dull moment in the wacky world of hillwalking)
I maintain it's "If you think that, then you've got another think coming!".
(normally used in response to an unrealistic assumption made by someone...eg Annabelle Goldie will be the new First Minister)
Eccentric Physics lecturer Martin is of the opinion that the correct phrase is
"If you think that, then you've got another thing coming!"
Now to me that is utter nonsense.
You've got another "thing" coming?
What does that mean?
The whole point of the expression is that if you think in a certain way, you're wrong and you should think again...
What have things coming got to do with it?
I was very surprised to find on Google that there is a substantial degree of support for both interpretations.
Strange...
On Monday Dave Reilly's Blog described how he'd spent the evening watching Hearts v Celtic on Scotsport Extra Time.
Nothing especially significant about that except for the fact that the Blog was published before the show was broadcast.
Either Corstorphine is now in a different time zone to Haymarket, or there is skulduggery afoot.
Is he now writing a diary in advance?
Is this ethical?
What would Samuel Pepys have thought of this?
I'm thinking of organising a group of people to go and stand outside his house tonight carrying torches and waving pitchforks and shouting "Heretic! Heretic!" at him.

Mark Nelson's blog has been making me laugh of late.
He is indeed a very funny cnut!
He does a nice line in scathing angriness which I like, (although I'm not sure if I'd like to read a review of my act written by him...but as long as he's wading into other targets, then that's fine by me).
If, like me, you were a big fan of iconic 80s popsters "The Associates", then you'll find this article in The Guardian very interesting, so you will.
I was also watching Craig Ferguson interview the sassy Julia Louis-Dreyfus on YouTube.
It is weird thinking that this is the same guy I watched in a dingy Edinburgh pub many years ago doing a comedy spot in the guise of his "Bing Hitler" character.
I can't remember all that much of his act apart from a hilarious lampooning of The Corries...
In fairness to him, he's still a funny guy...
Getting paid slightly better these days though I'd imagine!
Crikey! The Rezillos are still touring. This is them live in Brazil.
After yet another smoking lapse, I'm definitely off them again.
On my way to the pain of employment in the morning, I pass a pub which is open very early in the morning.
I presume this is designed to mainly cater for shift workers, but anyone else is welcome to join in.
There are always a few people standing outside having a fag as I pass...
There is an unmistakable smoker complexion on display here.
It's a deathly grey look, and coupled with the dawn chorus of hacking coughs...well, it really is a good daily reminder that smoking does bad things to the human body.
Oh, and I've decided to be a vegetarian as well...
(place your bets now for how long this will last)
It's these fucking lambs gamboling about in the fields...
Could I go across and turn them into a pile of sellophane wrapped chops?
I don't think I could really...
Well, that's part of it...
I've also noticed that the people I know who are veggie tend to look younger and slimmer than their carnivore peers...and it's definitely much easier to be a veggie these days...there's so much great veggie food to be had...
not like the old days!
My last attempt lasted about 3 days.
I made disgustingly inedible Spaghetti Bolognaise with dried soya mince and experiencing hunger pains, ran out and bought a chicken supper...
I've done 6 days now...no problem really...not even thinking about it much.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a pub in Glasgow that opens at 9am but, apparently, any alcohol served before 11am must accompany food, so they provide a 'continental breakfast'. Which is essentially a croissant.

So at 10.30am, you can see an old man surrounded by half a pint of Guinness, four empty pint glasses, and five croissants.

The sad thing is that the croissants are actually pretty good.

Still doing the Frog & Bucket on Monday?

Tony

Anonymous said...

Ah nostaglia...cured by Piriton I believe.
My mate played guitar for The Associates (leaving us, one of his other bands - The Nasty Centipedes - in the lurch). He was taken on mainly for touring when a certain band member didn't know what, who or where he was due to substance intake.
We thought he'd made the big time when we saw him on TOTP but he got paid less than minimum wage, they only bought him a jacket(wow!), left him out when they bought expensive instruments and broke them...and he had to pay his own way between gigs!
Makes you think eh? Hang on here's another think coming!!!

Mouthy Git of Dundee
PS My mate's brother married Mackenzie's sister thus entering the Mackenzie family empire of buying/selling second-hand goods. Glam eh? It is in Dundee!

jimbo said...

Yes I will be at the Frog & Bucket on Monday...!
Looking forward to it (kind of)!
cheers
Jim

Anonymous said...

I'll try to drop by, should be around before 9. It's probably not as bad as I described it before, heard other people say good things - seems I appeared on a rough night, or the compere had a stormer and the audience wanted to see him, or I was just rubbish. :)

Anonymous said...

Another storming blog entry! A few comments:-
1. Great Rezillos video. I suppose Jo Callis has decided that Brazil beats Falkirk, where the Human League are playing tomorrow for free.
2. Was this the same smoking lapse as two Friday's ago, or the same one?
3. I'm in the 'another THING coming camp'

Anonymous said...

Brilliant blog! You are a funny man.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I have posted my apologyhere:-

http://crispycat-recordings.blogspot.com/2007/04/princes-and-angels.html

David Reilly

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Ah - now it works....

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Dear Jim Park

I freely admit to having pre-posted my entry re watching the football highlights.

I knew I was going to watch them and I knew the score.

I would just like to apologise to everyone concerned.

I take full responsibility and I will not be resigning...

David Reilly