Sunday, August 21, 2005

20/08/05 Finishing Strongly

Another really good night. A big appreciative crowd and the show has developed a much better momentum. Having Jools as MC has transformed the show completely. She's great at getting the audience relaxed and then geeing them up.
Instead of running on and offstage doing links etc, the 3 of us can just concentrate on our stand-up routines, and it's making for a much better show.
It'd be nice to get a review of the re-vamped show.
Anyway, we are all in a cheery mood after the show going so well, and proceeded to down several pints, as is our wont of an evening.
We ended up down at the "Pear Shaped" comedy club in the Holyrood Tavern again.
We wanted to see fellow comic Richard pulsford do a spot but just missed him.
Late in the evening, I was horrified when the funster MC Brian Damage announced, "And next up is Jim Park!".
I was there strictly to watch comedy and had already imbibed about 7 pints. I proceeded to do a shambling, slurred impersonation of my material in a chaotic 5 minutes that I can vaguely remember.
I still got pretty good laughs...but I suspect they were largely out of sympathy for my plight.
I think Brian did mention at the end that he "didn't realise quite how pissed Jim was " before he invited me on stage.
It was a very nice gesture to be asked spontaneously to do a spot. I just wish I had been a little more sober.
It was a good learning experience though. I generally don't drink at all before I perform, and this fiasco was a reminder of why my policy is correct.
I suppose you could look at it as a kind of Fringe Comedian "rite of passage" to do a spot of pissed stand-up.
I'm going to try and get another spot next week and will definitely be on the soda & limes before I go on.

No comments: